Today I had to get prescriptions for me and some cold meds for Brad. Since I'm an American and have one stop shopping ingrained into me, I went to WalMart. Something funny seems to always happen while I'm there and this time was no exception.
Update: Brad and I are working diligently on our budget. We used to just go to the store and get whatever looks good and then whine all week about how we had no food. Oh and we shopped pretty much every other day.
No more!
New goals include:
only shop on Saturdays
planning out the week's meals
spending $75 for both of us 3 meals a day
So I was in the checkout lane at WalMart and I as I was loading the items onto the belt I realized I might be getting close to budget. Since we went $10 over last week (our first week of Operation Budget) I was determined not to go over. So I pulled the items I knew we could live without and left them in the cart. I told the friendly WalMart representative that I was working our budget and please subtotal after the necessaries. The couple behind me was intrigued. I don't remember how we even got to talking but they asked about the items in the cart and I said they were 'maybe' items. As they both peered into my cart, the husband goes, 'what in the world is a maybe item?' I said that I was sticking hard to my budget. They got pretty into it, I have to tell you. We three were watching the lady ring my items and waiting to see if we could put the maybe items on the belt. When we realized I could, there was cheering! lol. Real cheering. Then when the total was still $4 under my alloted amount, more cheering. I felt like a real winner.
No, WalMart didn't pay me to write this and no I don't like shopping there. But that funny couple in line with me did make my experience bearable. If ANYONE knows where to find canned pumpkin in that store, please email! ha I never could find the stuff....
Update: Brad and I are working diligently on our budget. We used to just go to the store and get whatever looks good and then whine all week about how we had no food. Oh and we shopped pretty much every other day.
No more!
New goals include:
only shop on Saturdays
planning out the week's meals
spending $75 for both of us 3 meals a day
So I was in the checkout lane at WalMart and I as I was loading the items onto the belt I realized I might be getting close to budget. Since we went $10 over last week (our first week of Operation Budget) I was determined not to go over. So I pulled the items I knew we could live without and left them in the cart. I told the friendly WalMart representative that I was working our budget and please subtotal after the necessaries. The couple behind me was intrigued. I don't remember how we even got to talking but they asked about the items in the cart and I said they were 'maybe' items. As they both peered into my cart, the husband goes, 'what in the world is a maybe item?' I said that I was sticking hard to my budget. They got pretty into it, I have to tell you. We three were watching the lady ring my items and waiting to see if we could put the maybe items on the belt. When we realized I could, there was cheering! lol. Real cheering. Then when the total was still $4 under my alloted amount, more cheering. I felt like a real winner.
No, WalMart didn't pay me to write this and no I don't like shopping there. But that funny couple in line with me did make my experience bearable. If ANYONE knows where to find canned pumpkin in that store, please email! ha I never could find the stuff....

Way to go Erica! I would cheer for you- and I should try leaving the 'maybe' items in the cart too- that's a really good idea : ).
ReplyDeleteAwesome - way to budget girl, one of my favorite activities! We should recipe swap too! SO good to see you last weekend, I definitely needed more time though! Love you guys!
ReplyDelete