Tuesday, May 31, 2011

What I've been up to...

So, I've gotten a bit crafty (if I do say so myself...!) since I've come back from Utah. I'm loving this new outlet for my creativity and energies. Some of the pictures are from my phone so I have to apologize, they're terrible!



This is a vase I etched for Landon and Olivia- The Larsen's are good friends and we wish we could have been there in Utah to see them get married. This is one of the most time consuming vases I've done to date but it's also the one I love the most! Yes, that's my jacket sleeve inside it... I couldn't get the camera to pick it up otherwise :)






And this I did on two sides of the vase:




I also did a vase for Jon-Michael and Kira's wedding. I don't have the 'final' pictures with me but here is the picture I do have which is actually nice because it illustrates the process I use.


First I find a vase or other glass object I like. I cover it with masking tape. Then I design it on the computer and print it off (see in the picture, lower left). I cover the back of the print-off with pencil lead and then trace it onto the masking tape. Then, with a special little knife I cut out the areas I want to be etched. That takes the longest. For the Larsen's vase I think it was 6-7 hours. After it's all cut out I put the etching cream on and wait. The bottle says to wait like a minute. HA! No way. I wait like 10 minutes, sometimes even more. Because once it's over, it's over. After the ten minutes are up I run all of it under water and remove the masking tape and etching cream. What's left should look pretty much done. Each time I do it I learn a little more. I would like to go back to etching on colored glass. I did some glasses once that were black and I liked how that looked.


I also etched my Mother's day gift to mom but didn't bother to take pictures. You couldn't see it at all! I had done it on a jar which I filled with homemade lemon peppermint foot scrub

( http://www.oneshetwoshe.com/2010/04/handmade-foot-soak-how-to-she-sosae.html ) and it was light colored so you couldn't see the etching at all :( Brad was funny, though, he said well when it's all gone it will be a suprise!! lol of course I couldn't wait that long and had to tell Mom the truth :)



Well thanks for getting this far on the post.

For those of you who are following us, I don't do this often but tomorrow we are headed to Mayo Clinic for Brad's lungs. Any good thoughts you could spare to send our way would be

most gratefully

accepted.

Thank you.

6 comments:

  1. What great etching! The projects look great and good luck to Brad tomorrow. We'll be sending prayers and good thoughts your way : ).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are beautiful! Sending lots of prayers and good thoughts to the both of you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome! Paula told us about that-but we haven't seen it in person- that was so very thoughtful of you-

    the wedding was wonderful and seeing everybody (but you two and Matt) was refreshing to our souls- would have been perfect if you had been there too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My eyes have been bugging me- so I initially missed the last part- you two are in our prayers-

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always wanted to try etching. Whenever I finally get around to it, I'll make sure to ask you for pointers.
    Good luck with the Mayo Clinic today. I'll be thinking about you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, if you know someone who has a cricuit cutter, you could have them reverse print out the design for you... that'd save A BUNCH of time with cutting out the letters. But, AWESOME job miss crafty gal!!!!! (This is Sarah, BTW)

    ReplyDelete