Sunday, August 7, 2011

My Grandpa


My Grandpa Lewis passed away this morning. It's hard to think these pictures were taken just a short time ago. I know it was the right time and I think he knew it too but it still seems tough. I have been lucky in my life to have lost very few people and so I think some of these feelings I am feeling are just new.

December 2008^
(The picture in the background, that I had not previously noticed, really ties it allll together)
July 2010 (Below)

July 2010

I'll leave you with my favorite memory of my Grandpa and I.
It's been awhile ago now, maybe 10 years or so but my grandpa had I think it was a quadruple bypass surgery on his heart. He had been feeling bad for awhile before that time so I had thought he was you know just getting older and slower in general. Well, at the marina in Oregon that my Dad owns, Grandpa and Grandma worked there off and on. There is a gigantic ramp that gets longer and longer as the lake (reservoir) is emptied throughout the summer. By the end of the summer, let me tell you, it was a hike. So much so that we have to use a golf cart to transport people. Well I was in HS and the top of my athletic game. I remember Gpa and I were at the bottom of this ramp and it was about 8 months or so after his surgery. And I said hey I'll race you. I laughed and was looking down, obviously not serious. Well I look up and he is already running. Fast. I take off and gave it my all. I mean, I was really trying. And he beat me.
I was shocked! Outraged! Embarrassed!
But I was also proud.
Love you, Grandpa. See you again someday.

January 2010

2 comments:

  1. Oh Erica - I am sorry for your loss! Will keep you in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures Erica, thanks for sharing them and your sweet story. Love you.

    ReplyDelete