Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Chipper

Many of you probably know that although Brad and I live in the capital of Iowa, Des Moines, I travel for work to Council Bluffs which is 130 miles straight West. One day this past summer while Brad and I were lazily contemplating what to do out here while he was visiting, we decided to Wiki the town of Council Bluffs to see if anything fun to do popped up. We soon learned that CB has a mascot- the black squirrel which, according to an official city ordinance, they have fondly named Chipper. There is a whole following- there is a marathon, you can buy t-shirts and everything. Apparently there are these black squirrels pretty much everywhere. They believe this area has the highest concentration of black furies than anywhere else in the country (although I have yet to see the actual data on this).
This was absolutely hilarious to Brad and I since by that time I had been in CB for about 7 months- never seen one. So a little later that day we hop in the car to head to the store and who did we see?
Yup, lil Chipper, out to play.
The irony kills me. 
Anyway a few weeks ago I came back to the apartments and Chippy and his little buddy (regular looking, lucky guy) were out playing right on my path. Luckily this guy apparently has no fear and I was able to grab the camera.

Yes, he wasn't thrilled with me and actually was kind of intimidating sitting up there all gargoyle like.


No comments:

Post a Comment