Thursday, October 6, 2011

I have been wanting to write this post for awhile but with my big trip to Houston, things got pushed back a little. I think it's been on my mind even more because I haven't been home for about 10 days now which is pushing the limits for me and for Brad. I don't like to be gone ever, but over 10 days apart and we're starting to really feel it. The good news is I'll be home tomorrow for three days so, for now, I'm simply dreaming of home.
Our lives right now are so strange. Hmmm. Our life right now is so strange. Not sure which is most appropriate to our situation but I'll go with it. When people ask about Brad and how medical school is and what it is actually like, I never know how to respond. How do you explain to someone that every day is the same? It is a long day, the longest, hardest day you've ever had. And it's like that day in and day out. He takes more than 2 exams on any given week. And I'm not talking about a 'quiz' or a 'chapter review'. In his classes, there may be only one exam, or there might be 2-3. But even with three exams, let's say, there is little room for error. Each week he is cramming, each exam is so hard. Sometimes I look at him and wonder how much more stress his mind and body can handle before there is a true shut down. Before the little red light flashes and says Game Over. Is it wrong to sometimes wish it would just start flashing now? So this could be over? It's difficult... no, that's the wrong word. It's heart wrenching to watch Brad, my love, my best friend, my forever, to go through this struggle. In all honesty I know that even I do not understand what he is up against. Some medical students may go through his same program and not have the kind of challenges that Brad faces. They may have a completely different experience altogether. It's hard to compare since we all have different strengths and weaknesses. But I will tell you that with all that Brad has had to deal with, his strength of character just shines. Even when he is worn down and beat up he puts on a smile for me and offers to help with dinner. I am so grateful for this quality that is inherent within him. He has a spirit that cannot be dampened, no matter the challenge.
Brad loves the Fall and it's my favorite season as well. A few weekends ago we had an itch to usher in the season with some baked pears. We make these frequently each autumn and they are so yummy. I usually make them sitting on some pie dough and bake them that way but we didn't have any (with no energy to make some) so Brad had the good idea to top with a few marshmallows. It was delish! I have a brilliant husband!


One of the reasons we felt extra good about coming to DMU was their strength in surgery skills. Many medical students don't learn these important skills when they are in school- they learn them while rotating the 3rd and 4th years or they learn them in residency. This is usually because the school doesn't have a facility or faculty to help the students. DMU is the opposite- their facility is so amazing that the other medical school (an MD school) in Iowa- Iowa State- sends their students to DMU to train. This will be a huge asset to Brad when he begins rotating. He will be one step ahead and will be practicing and perfecting his skill instead of trying to learn it. They send the students home with these special blocks... kind of like a sponge. It has many layers made of different material that are supposed to mimic the feel of skin. While I was studying for my board exam we sat together and he sewed for me. It was fun to watch him concentrating soooo hard on this teeny tiny knot! 




Here he is so proud that he got them all lined up and {pretty much}even:


Those of you who know Brad know that now, all he wants is for someone to fall 
(but not seriously be hurt, of course!) and need a stitch...
I think he wanted me to volunteer...

1 comment:

  1. LOL! Before I got to the bottom of the page I was thinking, "Only if Brad were here he could practice stiching on.... Matt!" He fell last weekend while getting firewood... I'm certain those gaping holes in his arm would be much better with a stitch holding them together!
    Love that I can stalk this blog now... love you guys!!!!!
    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete