Thursday, November 17, 2011

Get your Craft on


K I'm on a roll with the blogging. Hope I can keep it up this time! It has mainly been catch-up... there's been a lot going on! With the arrival of my new little niece Averie I wanted to do something really special for her. And this is what I saw on my new fav site,

knockoffdecor.com

Yeah, I'm obsessed. Love it.



This piece that I fell in love with comes from Restoration Hardware and retails for $99 each. The lady who originally knocked it off gave me such motivation and inspiration I just knew I could do it.

OK, crappy phone pic again. Steph's color was purple and man I had fun making these. The paint looks like a flat color in this picture but it totally wasn't. I meant to take some pictures of them on the wall (they flank the bedroom window) when I was in Texas but I was so busy holding and loving all over her I totally forgot! I added the butterfly one because we liked all the board shapes so much and thought they were cute together. Unfortunately I was learning a lot along the way and the lettering on that one smeared a bit. So I don't know if it will make it onto the wall or not but I threw it in the picture anyway. Another difference is I wanted to hang them from a black satin ribbon. Oh and see how there are light grey letters 'inside' the animals? Those actually say Averie Ford backwards :) The borders of the boards have crackle paint and look cool if you're up close. The project took much longer than I had thought it would but primarily that was because of

one, my inexperience with paint and

two, my indecisiveness, and

three, slight but completely controlling perfectionism.

I actually do not consider myself a perfectionalist (anyone out there have an opinion on this?) but for little Averie (not that she even cares lol!) I wanted these to be perfect.
Anyway, they are up now in her bedroom and since this time I have been doing projects that involve paint much more frequently. When I get a good picture of these, I'll put it up!

2 comments:

  1. Check out the Wikipedia definition of perfectionism (I think most people with high standards for themselves live in between being the healthy kind of perfectionist and the unhealthy kind; I imagine you are the healthy kind. I have lots to say about perfectionism if you're ever up for it :))

    By the way, you're doing some very cool things these days, way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are cute! And I haven't crafted with you in a long time, but I remember you being a very detailed person. Not that it's a bad thing. :)

    ReplyDelete