One of the things I really wanted to do while the family was here was to go to the Des Moines Farmers Market. It is huge. It is on Saturdays and they pretty much close down all of downtown to have the vendors right on the street. It is one of my favorite things to do here and I was excited to take them to the last one of the season.
Dad and Donna actually saw Brad's school twice while they were here. The first time they went, I was in CB working and so it was a quick tour in-between classes. The second time we went while Kat was here and it was a good experience. While there, we saw where Brad has been learning OMM (osteopathic manual manipulation) which is a large part of what makes a D.O. different from an M.D.
Dad was having difficulty with his shoulder (since last summer), Donna and Kat had some neck issues so they all got a mini treatment from Brad :)
Being at the school was strange... it was so quiet. Kat is going to a liberal-arts school and we were showing her how different schools align their campus to fit the programs they offer.
I love this spot at the school. The school, DMU, is not actually in it's original location. It used to be downtown and was at that time connected to a hospital. I believe it has moved twice before ending up at it's current location. Anyway, at the time that Brad's grandfather and great-grandfather came to the school, it was connected to the Still Osteopathic Hospital. When the buildings were torn down, they kept the stained glass sign that was over the door to the main entrance. Whenever I see it I think of them and what their lives must have been like at that time. I wonder what they are thinking about and how they feel now, with Brad going to school there.




No comments:
Post a Comment