Monday, January 2, 2012

Christmas 2011

I can't believe it's 2012. I keep having this feeling like this is going to be the best year ever, I really do. I hope it comes true! Health-wise, 2011 wasn't really my favorite year. There were a lot of good things that happened, too...like that I got my iphone! I LOVE it!... and Averie being born and traveling. 

We have also had visitors this year which was awesome. Iowa's kinda.... out there and so it's been a little lonesome at times. Mom and Dad really knew how to end the year right, though. They came out for 8 full days and it was bliss. I was sick pretty much the entire time but really only one day - Christmas Day, the last day of their trip Ahhh- did it hinder us much. They are such beautiful examples of the kind of parents we hope to be someday and we are grateful for them and for them coming out to Iowa. 

They put a lot of thought into coming and brought some very special gifts including the little people play set that Brad got for Christmas when he was 2. She had all the pieces to the barn except for the pig! Amazing! I'm going to get a shelf put up in the nursery for the future kiddo. Funny side note, Stephanie bought Averie the same little set this year for Christmas. Well, the updated version anyway :)

Brad's grandpa (Mom's Dad) also graduated from the DO program at DMU, where Brad is going to school. He graduated in 1953 I believe. Mom brought out his hood from graduation. It's in great shape and it was a tender moment when Brad realized what he had been given. I hope we can incorporate it into the ceremony somehow when Brad's turn finally comes. They brought me a bracelet from Hawaii which matches with the other girls and is so cute. 

Mom taught me to sew after spending all week fixing up my sewing machine and together we made Brad an apron. The apron situation kinda cracks me up because we've been married now for 8 years. We had used some purple fabric at the wedding and right after Mom hid some of it away and made me a little apron. So for eight years this has been the only apron we have had. It's well loved although not worn out by any means. Brad can't tie it and I have lots of pictures of him in the kitchen in his church clothes cooking with it hung over his neck :) But this year- that all changed! Ashlee and Garrett (Brad's sis and bro in law) had us for Christmas-siblings-draw this year and she got me a Christmas apron. Sweet! Then I made that one for Brad. Sweet! And Mom brought me back a handmade one from Hawaii. Sweet! lol! So now We've got 4 aprons. I love it.
They also helped us get more prepared by building our 72 hour kit with all types of cool hi-tech gear. If there is a disaster, come to my house. I can turn mud into clean, pure water. Seriously.

One thing that I really wanted them to do while they visited was come out to Omaha and Council Bluffs to see all the Church historical sites. Over the last year these places have become meaningful to me personally and I wanted to share that with them. Unfortunately, I had to work some of the time so they went to the Winter Quarters Temple grounds and trail center without me. Brad took these pictures and it looks like they had an awesome time. 


Mom was wishing for a white Christmas the whole time. She didn't get it- we had unusually amazing weather the entire time. Sorry, Mom!




2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great Christmas! Those were such thoughtful gifts from your in-laws. How sweet of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nothing is better than parents coming to visit! glad you all had a good time

    ReplyDelete