Saturday, January 7, 2012

Lewis & Clark, Covered bridge, and John Wayne

One thing I love about Mom and Dad is their sense of adventure. We got a small taste of what their trips just the two of them might be like- a lot of seeing fun & random things and being sooooo glad you did! They are also especially interested in Lewis & Clark and their expedition. Council Bluffs is where they made a big treaty with the Indians... on the Bluff :) Anyway they had a park and trails and a big monument. It was hard to find, actually, but we were happy once we got there!


This is Dad 100%.
I don't know if you can tell but yeah that's me wrapped in a blanket. I didn't have a good jacket with me and the wind was just whipping us back and forth it was insane up there. Very very cold. So we huddled for a quick picture then Mom and I ran for the car!
I really like this picture. 


On my way back and for driving from Des Monies to Council Bluffs I always see signs for the birthplace of John Wayne being in Winterset, not too far off I-80. I was glad we went and checked it out!


The museum, which is actually his childhood home, was closed but we walked around a little...

We loved this building. And many of the streets were named after him.

Then we saw a sign for a covered bridge. We were actually in or near Madison County (which is also right on the 80) where they filmed the movie The Bridges of Madison County. They have a few covered bridges and since living on the east coast, Brad and I have a special fondness for them. So we took an adventure down a gravel road....
This was me most of the time lol. Windswept taking pictures...


I was proud of this shot. It was Brad's eye that caught it on the way back. Luckily there wasn't much traffic and I was able to take my time although I was freezing my tush off! Oh, and for the record, this picture is 100% raw. No touch ups needed. I did another version where I did some editing, and it was beautiful, but I wanted to show you how beautiful it really was.

And this is Mom's find- square nails. Good eye, Mom!





1 comment:

  1. last time we went to the temple Chris and I decided we needed to got to The John Wayne and bridges. Your photos helped convince me even more!

    ReplyDelete