Tuesday, March 27, 2012

So we just got back from a fabulous ten days together and now are faced with real life starting back up... today :( Spring Break was awesome though. We spent the first part just hanging out at home, doing some planning and relaxing, and a few projects that just had to be done. Then Tuesday we flew out to Salt Lake and had so much fun. We couldn't have asked for a better trip. But more on that later! I need to get all my pictures uploaded then I'll be able to blog about it properly (oh boy... too much Downton Abbey?? Yeah.).

What have we been up to? Well there's a good reason our blog went neglected and practically abandoned these last two months. About a week after I blogged about being so excited the adoption profile was going up, I found out that the deadline I had to register in Echocardiography at work was much, much sooner than we had thought. I think I had June in mind. Nope, March 26th. And to make matters worse, I would be suspended if I did not pass. Then there is an 8 week in-between waiting time before it can be retaken and then if I didn't pass the second time, I would be fired. This, as you can imagine, created a lot of pressure for me to do well. We cannot survive without my job. Through all the struggles, it has been one of the largest and most tangible blessing in our lives. So I dove into my studies with, I will admit, a vigor I did not know I had. I was determined beyond all reason. The work paid off; on March 13th I took and passed my national board exam for Echo. I was relieved to say the least! I think we all breathed a sigh of relief. My co-workers had been very supportive all along but if I hadn't passed, there would be consequences that would fall on them as well. Brad was, as he is always, supportive as well. It was good to study together and lament together and all that goes with big tests. It bought me back to our Klamath Falls days when we were both going to school full time together. Sometimes I miss those simple days so much. Anyway, that pretty much consumed most of February and March! 

At random times I have been doing some baking/cooking that I haven't posted on here I don't think. I try to take pictures along the way and sometimes I'm better at it than others. I thought I'd share a few on here. 

Homemade Ricotta- so easy!

Homemade Snickers bars. Very tasty. I was proud my end result looked just like the Pinterest pic :)


Oh boy. This one was such an adventure. I know so many people that have celiacs that I am always trying new gluten-free recipes. This particular time we were having friends over and so I decided to make these flour-less gf cookies. Ok I can only say that these did NOT go into the oven this large haha! They got huge! Brad wasn't a fan but I liked them a lot. They were mainly coco powder and chocolate chips what's not to like?

 This was our valentine's day dinner. I took the turkey pepperoni and with kitchen scissors cut out little hearts. I had planned on using my cookie cutter, which would have been tons faster (and more uniform) but it was too big. I feel like I did other red 'stuff' for V day but now I can't remember it all. I think I made red slushies or something. Oh and this was also my first time making this honey-whole-wheat pizza crust and my own sauce. I will NEVER buy pizza sauce again (except maybe pappa murphy's!)- it was amazing! 


I took this picture specifically so I could look back later and laugh. Yes that is my bathroom. With rising bread. 
Our house is freezing all winter and I needed the bread to rise so I picked the smallest, easiest room to heat with that portable oil heater haha. Well, it worked...

And lastly, a little spring break treat- broiled grapefruit! We were both surprised how much we liked it- even with the cinnamon added. Now that we've (after 18 months) discovered our broiler (THANKS MOM!), I predict more broiled foods to come...

I'll blog about our trip to Utah soon. Oh, and a shout out to my fabulous Aunt Nicole- Happy Birthday!!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Erica, looks like good things are coming out of your kitchen mmmm! Congrats on passing your test. Love you!

    ReplyDelete