When we got back from Maine it was challenging to go back to "real life". We still miss Maine and are hoping to return some day but it was the time together that we longed for the most. After being back about 3 weeks, I took a leave of absence from my job in Council Bluffs. There was tons going on and it was simply necessary. That was mid-August and I will be returning to my job in less than two weeks. This time together has been one of the sweetest of my life. Of our life. It has brought great challenges that we never could have imagined but it has brought blessings, and more importantly, a renewed focus. I am so grateful for a loving Heavenly Father that has allowed us to experience not just the joy but also the ache that comes with rapid, extreme growth.
Since being home we have sure made a lot of changes!! Our adoption profile has been updated... did you see it? Totally re-vamped. We have been BEYOND blessed to meet awesome people who are joining us on our search for our loved ones. We now have LDS case workers in Missouri and Utah rooting for us and that is something I can hardly think of without my eyes filling with tears of gratitude.
We have also gotten to be outside a lot and do quite a bit. After getting tune-ups on our bikes we were biking almost each day until the weather turned cold. We both have red bikes and it's the only thing I can think of where we are sort of 'matchy matchy', but I love it. We loved kayaking when we were in Maine and so immediately upon returning found a small lake not too far and rented a tandem kayak to test out our new skills. Brad and I both ended up getting pretty sun-burnt even though we were only out a short time! Sheesh this pale skin! We haven't been back to that lake but we have gone back to the ice cream shop next to it! lol it was delish! They make it all right there and they have such unique flavors. Our favorite: corn. Yup, only in Iowa can you eat corn ice cream and love it!
In the scriptures it talks about all things in moderation and that meat should be eaten sparingly. We have been working on Brads cholesterol for some time now and had made changes such as reducing sodium intake and cutting out high cholesterol foods such as shrimp. However, we realized that it wasn't enough. More changes were needed and were we willing to truly alter the way we eat and live and spend our time and money in order to be healthy? The answer was yes. What does that mean for us? Well, a lot of work! haha. We are only eating meat about 3 times a month at this point. I am making all of our meals and have been challenged to build up that recipe box with vegetarian dishes that are as satisfying to our physic as meat-dishes. Once you stop filling your plate with so much meat it becomes easier to see it as a simple filler. Luckily, we are blessed that the previous owners left us two refrigerators and so the one downstairs is kept at a higher temperature perfect for storing fresh food. The one upstairs still freezes everything and is a thorn in my side but a little frozen sour cream every now and then won't kill me :) Are we crazy obsessed with this? No. Did we go to BBQ two nights ago and order nachos? Oh you bet we did. But I would say it has gotten so easy to be diligent in this as we have gotten not just 'more used to it'- but are actually loving it! And the results on the lipid panel, scale, blood pressure, and over all energy levels are staggering. We kept saying we wished we would have done this long ago but I will say it takes extra time. Lots of planning and just being overly aware of what you are putting in your body.
Brad and I enjoy traveling and we were able to see Missouri for the first time recently. We went there for a Families Supporting Adoption (FSA) meeting in Independence and also checked out the brand new temple. It was amazing and we are so glad we went. They had a birth-parent panel there similar to the one in Denver we went to and again we both felt we learned a ton. We was able to get a lot of questions answered and were able to see the other side of things. I am grateful for these brave men and women who, amidst their grief and healing, step out and show their strength of character in order to help others like us.
We had a new nephew born just a couple weeks ago and it's been killing us not being there. Now we have two nephews we haven't ever seen. We had been planning to go home to Oregon for Christmas this year but the school changed the rotation schedule (kinda last minute in my opinion) and so all the students don't get Christmas off- they get New Years off. I had gotten Christmas off (to go to Oregon) and so had to take New Years as my holiday to be on call. I'm sure you can see the conflict. Now I don't know if Brad and I will even be together for the holidays and I don't know when I will hold my nephews! ahhhhhh life. He will be in surgery rotation at the time and we've been told it's pretty brutal. He is not allowed to ask for time off and it has been a major sore spot for me. I'm working on overcoming it :)
OK. I think that's mainly it. lol! Hopefully I learned my lesson and won't let it go so long next time :)
And a few pictures to round it off...
For the RS broadcast we made baked doughnuts. They were awesome!
For some reason our garden kinda went nuts in September. This was our 'harvest' one day. Every thing was in mini form but sooo cute!
Back in July. Kayaking on Lake Ahquabi. It was incredibly warm water
At the shooting range in August. As we were purchasing our 75 cent poster I was telling the guy something about how I didn't need a very big target because I always hit the bullseye anyway. He laughed so hard. Well. He wasn't laughing anymore after we were done and he saw my shots! He actually apologized and took back when he said. After a little warm up I'm a pretty good shot!
Every time I see this picture I see my hottie and then it's hard not to look out at the vastness of Iowa. So very flat in most parts. We loved this trail
Do you see those pigtails?! Swoon! Our niece Averie. We were skyping and my sister says Where's Auntie? And she points right at me. M.E.L.T.
I do realize the three foods I've put up on here are desserts. Yes, I do. I swear we are eating right lol! These were two desserts I made for a baby shower I hosted. Amazing. The bottom one was the clear winner- sopapilla cheesecake bars. Oh, pinterest, how I love thee.
Forgot to mention we went camping for 3 days. Brad was so diligent and studied long past dark. We had a great time and got to use the AWESOME tent my Dad got us.
attempt at the new panoramic app on my iphone
Kansas City Temple, Missouri
Chopped down this huge tree-weed that was taking over our house! Wow that was a TON of work. We also bought day-lilies and planted them in front after falling hard for them on our trip to Maine. We also bought a new tree that is now in the front yard. Want to have that bonifide I'm-a-grown-up-now feeling? Buy a tree, no joke. It's had some post transplant shock issues but I think by next year it will be doing great and I'm excited for our new curb appeal :)
And lastly, our participation in the Bountiful Baskets co-op has been great. Our numbers are growing and although it is a lot of work, we feel good about it. I'm grateful for our friends the Edwards who have really stuck in there with us through all the ups and downs!














you are amazing!!! just thought you should know:) miss you.
ReplyDelete