I feel like talking more about significant 'parental figures' in my life... people (adults older than myself) who have heavily influenced the way the I am now and the way I currently live my life.
My Dad. People who know me know I am crazy about the guy. We talk on the phone multiple times a week. A day I get to talk to my Dad, or even see him, is always a better day. Sometimes he totally drives me nuts lol but I'm pretty sure it's because we are a lot alike. Our birthdays are only 1 day different and so, although we didn't always get to live together when I was growing up, our birthdays have been a special time to us. Right now he is in Oregon helping his Dad, my grandpa, in the last stages of life. I know this is really hard for him and I think he is so brave and selfless to be able to do what he is doing. Because of my Dad I love to travel, better know how to take care of my body, swim like a fish, wear glasses, and walk fast.
Brad's parents have been there for me since before I ever even met Brad. I was 18 and my sister Stephanie was friends with his sister Charity and they paired up with their dates for a school dance. I came over to the DeKorte's house to help get the girls ready and Paula and I just clicked. I ended up staying over late into the night while she and I hung out in the hot tub talking like we had known each other all our lives but had been apart for some time. Like catching up. She told me a little about Brad at the time, I remember, but he was on his mission in Colorado still and I was kinda wrapped up in other things at the time. Mom and I's relationship continues to be a source of pure joy for me to this day. For Brad's Dad and I it took longer to form the relationship we now enjoy. He is such a good example of how to juggle home life with work and church activities. But with all that he does there just wasn't as much time spent together as it was with Mom, so I think it just took a little longer. I was talking with Brad last night and he asked me what did I think made someone good or bad. And Dad was the first person to come to mind. I truly believe Dad is good in a way that most of us (myself included) are not. It's hard to explain but he just emulates good. He is thoughtful and carries a happy, trusting, good spirit about him all the time. Mom and Dad are the reason I have hope in the family unit, the reason I have Brad! lol, why I love fresh figs, can make the best brownies in the world, and am always working hard to communicate better with those I love.
There are so many others who have been there for me...I mean really been there. Kathy and Jerry...oh my heart they are amazing. We lived with them in Pennsylvania and they were beautiful examples of some of the most devoted parents I have ever met. They restored my hope in good people out there. People who are not out to get something from me or take advantage of me. But who are the most genuine friends a person could ask for. I love them dearly.
Rodger and Jeanne Pickett- what fun, energetic, wonderful people! Their family continues to amaze me. After we left Pennsylvania where we met, we moved to Utah and ended up in their son and daughter in laws church ward! In Utah that is almost unheard of due to the sheer number of wards. But we became fast friends and even lived with them for a short time! The Picketts glow. I mean, seriously, they are so in love and happy and spiritually in tune... I learned a lot from them and still have more to learn.
There are other people I won't go into depth about but for sure the Andelins and the Brusseaus (both parents of close friends growing up) who I know I could come over right now and our friendship wouldn't have missed a beat. They are just dear to me.
Ultimately I feel so overwhelmingly blessed to have these people in my life. I always think of myself as a mixture of so many experiences- physical, emotional, spiritual- all put together so in a way all of these people are a part of me. And I love that.

No comments:
Post a Comment