Monday, November 21, 2011

Craving: Satisfied

I know I said this was not a food blog. It's still not but I've decided to share a few more things I've been keeping close. And I even took pictures this time, look at that. 
This is a recipe that I only make one time each year, usually around this month. If you decide to make these, you must reserve at least 3 hours. This time was the first time I've made them using parchment paper. After the first time when I used it dry, I started to spritz with a bit of Pam and it worked wonderfully. Will be using that method again. Here's why: when you pull the cookies out of the oven, you have to wait for them to cool a bit then pull each one off with a spatula and then clean, re-spray with Pam, and pipe another batch on. With the paper, you pull the paper off the cookie sheet directly out of the oven and set it on the counter to cool and immediately put the next batch on, ready to go. Genius. 

Butter. This recipe has loads of it. One year I tried to use 'healthier' butter in place of the good stuff. Sadness ensued as they turned out horribly and 1, I wasted three hours baking 2, sad that whole week 3, had to wait until the next year to make them and redeem myself. Trust me- get the good stuff!

The best way to get the roundest cookie is to pipe it. If you have a bag, great, but I don't so I always use a ziploc and it's worked great every year. 



I know, silly, but I was thrilled the paper didn't burst into flames and ruin my cookies...er... I mean my oven. This was my first time using parchment paper ever!
See how round piping made them? Beautiful

Yum

I was really worried I wouldn't be able to find the recipe because I cut it out of a magazine a long time ago and it didn't have any authors written on it. Luckily, Google and I are BFF.... and also I happened to remember it was from Martha Stewart.
Turns out it's from 2004. Wow, I can't believe I've been making these this long! Sometimes I wonder, do Brad and I really have out own little traditions that are unique to us and our family? And then I realize, yeah, we really do :)

Pumpkin Cookies with Brown-Butter Icing:


I
  • For The Cookies
    • 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
    • 1 teaspoon baking powder
    • 1 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt (I use regular salt)
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    • 1 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger (I use only ONE tsp)
    • 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    • 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
    • 2 1/4 cups packed light-brown sugar
    • 2 large eggs
    • 1 1/2 cups canned solid-pack pumpkin (14 ounces) (be careful- a lot of pumpkin cans are 15 oz)
    • 3/4 cup evaporated milk (I use regular milk every year and have never had a problem)
    • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • For The Icing
    • 4 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
    • 10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter
    • 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon evaporated milk (Again, regular milk works)
    • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  1. Make cookies: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees (with my gas oven this year I did 360). Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg in a medium bowl; set aside.
  2. Put butter(1 1/2 sticks) and brown sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Mix in eggs. Reduce speed to low. Add pumpkin, evaporated milk, and vanilla; mix until well blended, about 2 minutes. Add flour mixture; mix until combined.
  3. Transfer 1 1/2 cups batter to a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch plain tip (such as Ateco #806). Pipe 1 1/2-inch rounds onto parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing 1 inch apart. Bake cookies, rotating sheets halfway through (I never need to rotate), until tops spring back (VERY IMPORTANT! think: cake), about 12 minutes (Mine always take 10 min but that may be bec they are smaller). Cool on sheets on wire racks 5 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire racks; let cool completely.
  4. Make icing: Put confectioners' sugar in a large bowl; set aside. Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, swirling pan occasionally, until golden brown, about 3 minutes (this always takes longer for me- maybe just under 5 min). Immediately add butter to confectioners' sugar, scraping any browned bits from sides and bottom of pan. Add evaporated milk and vanilla; stir until smooth. Spread about 1 teaspoon icing onto each cookie. If icing stiffens, stir in more evaporated milk, a little at a time. I also sprinkle a small amount of cinnamon and nutmeg into the frosting just to get more of that 'speckled' look.
Oh, and yes, they really do make about 6 dozen- kind of a lot but plan to give some away!

No comments:

Post a Comment