Monday, November 14, 2011

Mrs. Fix-it

One of the things people warned me about in our pre-medical school days was about how I would have to learn new skills around the house.
New skills?? Uh, count me in!!!
That is, until I realized these things are hard. It's confusing going up and down the isles at Lowe's not knowing which is the best paint or glue or brush or caulk or any other material/product. Then when you do get the stuff home, I'm not sure exactly where to go from there.
Probably why these things are typically left to boys.
But not in my house. Brad does a lot, don't get me wrong- I recently discovered a leak under the kitchen sink and I have absolutely no intention of touching it.  But a lot of things are left to me to figure out because he simply doesn't have the time to take care of things he used to do. 

Take, for example the back of the bathroom sink. Where the porcelain meets the drywall, the wall was beginning to disintegrate from constant water. I have been watching this for some time, trying to decide what to do. Rather than slowly, painfully, watch our wall wash away, I decided to take action.
Trust me, this picture does not do justice. It was awful.  
The supplies: 

Very stinky adhesive
I think I saw this once on like Tool Time with Tim Allen lol. So I went with it. 
Seemed like the right thing to do. 
I put the stuff on there, then took a plastic fork to make the marks. After I pushed this piece onto the wall, I realized this was nowhere near enough goo so I pulled it off, put more around the edges especially, crisscrossed it again, and stuck it back on there. 
The finished product. There is a lot of tan's in the room but with the white sink and white tub I went with white tile. The tile pieces were $1.30 each and the adhesive was I think $6.50 and I had the spackle tool. 
And yeah, I did it myself :)
I know it's a little thing, it really is. But I've been feeling more confident about these things as we go through this journey together. I'm grateful for a husband who doesn't mind a little role-reversal every now and then. He doesn't feel the need to 'be the man' and do it himself but lets me try and steps in when I'm at a loss.We fixed our downstairs bathroom a few weekends ago and it was wonderful to work together. Maybe someday we'll get to work together in the same hospital, clinic, or practice- how cool would that be?!

Ps Thanks Dad and Donna for going to Lowe's with me, helping me with the supplies, and giving me confidence to go for it! LOVE YOU!!!


1 comment:

  1. way to go!!! I'm usually to lazy to do them and just get Chris to do it. next time I might call you :)

    ReplyDelete