Almost anyone who meets me knows about my work. I am beyond blessed that I was able to enter into a career in which I find such an incredible amount of satisfaction and joy. Let me back up. When I was 15 I got my first traditional pay-check job. I worked at assisted living apartment center and I helped residents get their meals in the dining room and get them the things they needed. It was located very close to the high school and to where I was living so I didn't need a car. When I turned 16 I got a job at the local theatre and quit my assisted-living job. Oh man did I love working at the theatre. Such a fun place for a teenager to work. After working there awhile and as I was going to the local community college during my senior year, I added a second job as a "sandwich artist" (as I would later put on my resume) working at a small cafe that was connected to the theatre. At 16/17 it was difficult juggling two jobs and college but somehow I made it work. After I left Washington for college in Oregon I worked full time at my Dad's marina and when the summer was over I immediately got a job at Fred Meyer. I ended up working for them just shy of 5 years before we moved to Hershey, PA for my full time externship at Penn State Hershey Medical Center. Immediately following that year-long externship I got my first sonography job at the University of Utah Medical Center. I loved my job there and would have stayed forever. But medical school brought many changes for us and Iowa being one of them. I tried to do it all... I flew back and forth every-other weekend for 5 months before we just could not do it anymore. I had gotten a job in Council Bluffs, Iowa- two hours from home in Des Moines- but it was clos
er and I was thrilled. That was almost two years ago. I have driven those 130 miles back and forth too many times to count. I was home on average 8-9 days of the month but I supported us and together we worked hard to do what we thought was best. I tell you all of this because
on Tuesday I put in my two-week notice. However, this time is different. I do not have another full time position I will be transitioning to. I still have my PRN (as-needed) job at the local hospital here in Des Moines but I will not be working steadily.
Frankly, I am terrified. I like to work. It's what I know best and it's what is comfortable for me. I also know that I am needed at home and am excited to take on these new challenges. So it's a lot of mixed emotions these days. There have been many people in our branch, in our families, our friends... all of whom have helped in such diverse ways. Thank you. Thank you for supporting us and our crazy life- you know who you are. People who had Brad over for a meal when I hadn't been home in two weeks to cook. For listening to me on the phone as I drove back and forth :). For working around our inconsistent schedule and making many accommodations. All the prayers and sending good thoughts our way. We are so grateful. We are hoping that this next phase will be the best ever. Brad is in Neurology rotations right now and is loving the heck out of it. He comes home not tired after 12 hours but is bouncing off the walls with excited energy at all that he's learning. I'm sure it will pass at some point and he'll join the rest of us tired workers haha but part of me hopes he never comes down off this high.
As I near my 28th birthday it's strange to look back at all these things that we have been through and all the hurdles we have jumped. I know it's like that for everyone, it's not that we are unique, but there has been a time of reflection this last week and I guess this post is a product of that. I truly am excited/scared/nervous/thrilled/relieved at this new opportunity for us. I just know that good things will happen and that's a wonderful feeling to hold onto.
You have accomplished so much and I know this isn't the end of it. I am really excited for you guys and the next phases in your life :) I think this is just preparatory for some great things to come! Love you both.
ReplyDeleteBest of luck, Erica! I know it's tough to not know exactly what's coming next and transition into another stage of life but if there's anyone I know who can do impossible things, it's you and Brad. I wish you all the best in the world. We're thinking of you!
ReplyDeleteLots of love to you guys at this time of transition - it's a big one, good for you for being brave and dong what you think is right for you at this time, you will be in our prayers.
ReplyDelete